1. Ritter fans should only be operated by employees who are knowledgeable and experienced in their proper operation.
2. Electric Ritter fans must be properly connected to a power source, appropriate for the unit’s design (AC, DC, voltage, amperage, phase, etc.). Connection / disconnection should only be performed by properly trained employees.
3. Gasoline-powered Ritter fans should only be operated in exterior locations where proper ventilation can be ensured.
4. Elevating a Ritter fan for operation with a forklift or aerial lift should only performed if the operation has been approved in advance by a licensed professional engineer or the lift manufacturer.
5. Any Ritter fan elevated for operation must be securely attached to the forks or platform in a manner that prevents tipping, slipping or falling.
6. The lift operator must be properly trained in the use of the lift (forklift, aerial lift, etc.).
7. If it is necessary for a fan operator to be elevated to ensure proper fan function, the operator’s station must be located in a safe and secure location. If necessary, an approved full body harness and lanyard may be required for the operator(s).
8. Employees shall not ride on a Ritter fan or utilize the fan as a means of propulsion.
9. Whenever a Ritter fan is transported via a truck, trailer or other vehicle; equipment with the proper configuration and capability (forklift, telehandler, crane, etc.) shall be utilized by trained, experienced employees to move the Ritter fan on and off the vehicle. Employees should not utilize manual handling methods and / or lift gates to raise or lower the Ritter fan from the vehicle.