1. Follow all practices in Code of Safe Practice #5 Power Tools.
2. Always wear appropriate PPE (safety eyewear, hearing protection, etc.).
3. Operate concrete, mortar and/or plaster mixers (mixers) only if you are trained and authorized to do so.
4. Make sure all mixers with a 1 yard capacity or smaller are equipped with grid guards. The grid openings are not to exceed 4 inches square, with a minimum clearance of 5 inches from the top of the grid guard to the top of the mixing paddles.
5. Before using mixers and associated equipment, check that they are in safe working condition.
6. Make sure all mixers are prevented from accidental startup (Lockout/Tagout) prior to maintenance or repair activities
7. Make sure electrical cables and hoses are placed where they will not constitute a tripping hazard.
8. Make sure all safety guards and other protective devices are properly adjusted and remain in place.
9. Block the wheels of the mixer when parked on a slope.
10. Never reach into the drum opening with hands or foreign objects when the mixer is in operation.
11. Do not add fuel or oil without first stopping the engine.
12. Always stop engine when leaving equipment unattended. Never leave mixer unattended when in operation.
13. Periodically check all bolts and fasteners on the mixer for tightness and condition. The vibrations from the motor could loosen nuts and bolts.
14. Before towing the mixer, make sure that the safety chain is securely attached, and that the tow bar bolt and locknut are secure and in good condition.
15. Always wear appropriate clothing and work shoes. Never wear loose or frayed clothing, long hair, rings, etc., near mixers or other sources of entanglement.
16. Lift and handle all material properly and with careful attention to the job.
17. If concrete, plaster or mortar splatters on the skin, wash it off as soon as possible.