A security risk assessment should be conducted for the proposed shooting locations. This assessment should focus on the subject of the production, travel security, crime, terrorism, and political/civil unrest. Security controls should be scaled to mitigate the assessed risks. It is recommended to engage a security provider early in this process. If possible it is recommended to obtain basic background checks on local hires.
- Provide all production crew and support staff with a photo identification badge that is required to be visible at all times. Immediately retrieve the badge upon termination.
- Require employees to immediately report lost or stolen photo identification badges.
- Encourage employees to challenge persons without visible identification.
- Implement layered security controls based upon the location and layout of the production and control access to the site.
- Establish a policy, as permitted by local laws, which allows security to randomly search people, bags, packages and personal items.
- Place security guards at perimeter all access points and non-emergency set exits.
- Place security guards at perimeter of exterior locations and in the vicinity areas where sensitive assets are located.
Additional Security Policies
- Draft a travel safety document for delivery prior to international production moves. Include all relevant safety, security and medical information for the destination. This information can be obtained using International SOS at www.internationalsos.com using member number: “NETFLIX”.
- Consider omitting production name, logo and other specific information on all signage, placards, and other documentation that may identify the production and attract unwanted attention.
- Develop an acceptable use policy that outlines restrictions for social media, internet, personal device and mobile device use while employed by the production.
- Develop a policy regarding the use of digital recording devices (smart phones, digital cameras, and camcorders). Communicate and strictly enforce the acceptable use and digital recording device policy for all extras and background actors.
- Prohibit third party vendors from entering sensitive content area with digital recording devices (e.g., USB thumb drives, digital cameras, cell phones, etc.) unless escorted by authorized crew personnel.
- Consider all production docs as intellectual property and protect them as such.
- Include security action items in daily safety meetings to reinforce commitment to protecting intellectual property, assets, and content.
- When not in use, secure and/or protect sensitive assets and set decoration from public view.