P | Distribution is a watermarking and distribution solution directly integrated into Prodicle. It accesses the contents of your Google Drive and displays your production folders with any PDFs stored inside. It incorporates Labels you’ve created in Google contacts and conveniently lists them as distribution options. Files can be visually watermarked with either a recipient's email, display name, or custom text of your choosing.
P | Distribution should be used to send sensitive documents related to your production. Only PDFs you have edit access to can be distributed in P | Distribution. All scripts or any confidential materials MUST be watermarked.
In this guide, we will cover the features and functions in P | Distribution.
Accessing P | DISTRIBUTION
P | DISTRIBUTION is accessible via three options:
- Direct URL access: https://distribution.prodicle.com
- From the Prodicle Passport page: Click on the icon
- Connect Google Drive App: This feature is available after opening P | DISTRIBUTION for the first time using one of the above options. From Google Drive, select a file and right click to access the OPEN WITH option.
Searching For a File and Adding to Cart
A global search field is available at the top of the file page allowing the user to search for files in Google Drive.
A file can be added to the cart from the dropdown menu on a search by clicking the ADD TO CART button displayed next to each file.
Uploading Files and Selecting Files
- Upload the file directly to Google Drive for distribution directly from P | DISTRIBUTION by clicking the UPLOAD FILE button from the top of the file list.
- On the main screen, click the box to the left of the PDF you wish to distribute. Select ADD TO CART to place files in the distribution queue.
- Once you have selected your files, click the space to the right of the screen. This will expand your shopping cart area.
- You can place additional files in the cart by going back to the main screen. If you make a mistake, you can delete your selections from the queue or clear the cart entirely.
- Once you have added your necessary files, click DISTRIBUTE to continue.
Note: Microsoft office docx files will need to be saved as a PDF before the file can be watermarked.
Creating a Template
- From the P | DISTRIBUTION home page, navigate to the TEMPLATES tab located below the P | DISTRIBUTION logo on the left side of the page.
- This will take you to a Templates page that shows all of your saved templates. This is also the page from which you can create a New Template.
- After clicking NEW TEMPLATE, you will be presented with a blank email window.
- In this window, you can add the following information to be used later when applying this specific template:
- Template Name -- What do you want to call this template for when you look to apply it later?
- Subject -- What is the canned subject line you would like as a place starter for your email template?
- Custom Text -- What is the canned body of the email you would like as a place starter for your email template?
- When you click save on this template creation window, you will now notice the template saved under the Templates tab with the name you previously designated. This template will now be accessible to be applied to any subsequent distribution email. (See next section to learn exactly how to do this.)
Note: for the pieces of information that might change from day to day or from iteration to iteration, consider using underscores "_________" or dashes "------" to quickly remind yourself of the areas that need to be updated before sending out the distribution.
Applying a Template
- When composing the email to send out a distribution, you will now notice a TEMPLATES dropdown on the right side of the “Custom Message” option bar.
- Clicking on this dropdown will reveal your saved templates.
- By clicking on a saved template you will apply the saved template to this distribution message.
- From here, you can tweak any of the information that needs to be changed before continuing through the distribution flow and you can proceed normally as you would with any other distribution.
Watermarked and Unwatermarked Files
- The file(s) added to the distribution cart can be sent with or without watermark. This option can be selected by selecting the checkbox next to the file list in the cart on the right side panel.
- After you've written your email/message, click NEXT STEP.
Adding Recipients and Distribution Groups or Labels
Select individual recipients, distribution groups or labels by clicking in the SEARCH CONTACTS and GOOGLE GROUPS box. Recipients or contact labels you've created in your Prodicle contacts and any Google label you belong to will appear. If you need to make changes to your contacts select MANAGE CONTACTS and you will be redirected to the Contacts site. If a recently added contact does not appear immediately click REFRESH CONTACTS.
You can add both individuals, labels, and groups in the To field.
Additionally, P | DISTRIBUTION allows you to edit your contact groups on the fly. To do so, select the group/label you wish to edit. To delete a recipient, click the x next to the name.
NOTE: If your Google Labels or contacts do not appear after clicking REFRESH CONTACTS, refresh the entire page in your browser.
This option distributes access to your documents as a Google Drive link in the body of an email. Benefits of this option include offering password protection, the ability to disable downloading/printing and, most importantly, the ability to cut off access to your distributed files at a moment's notice. Also, there are no file size restrictions.
The Prodicle team considers this to be the most secure and responsible method of distributing sensitive material.
NOTE: In order to send a file via link you MUST have either ownership or edit rights to the file. If you only have read/view rights, the file WILL NOT process.
When receiving a file via link a recipient can click on that link to view the document. Additionally, they have the ability to ORGANIZE IN DRIVE, PRINT, and DOWNLOAD unless these features are restricted by the sender.
Via Email Attachment
This option sends your documents as a standard email attachment to recipients. Total file size is limited to 25MB.
Since this option does not use Google drive links, sending as an attachment is less secure. The recipient will gain ownership of the file when saving to their drive as well as the ability to edit. Unlike sending via link there are no audit records available and those who access the file can't be tracked.
This option is used for distributing hard copies of documents. (Think "table read".) P | DISTRIBUTION can create (1) PDF that combines all files and recipients or print them separately. PDFs are saved to your Prodicle "MY DRIVE" under the folder "PRODICLE DISTRIBUTION". Folders are marked by date and time stamp.
Documents can be watermarked using the recipients email address, full name, or a custom text. There is also an optional header watermark. For the watermark, you will be able to change the opacity and size from 75%, 50%, and 25%.
You can also send a test email, which will be sent to your Prodicle inbox.
NOTE: Only single watermark is available at this time.
Permission Settings When Sending via Link
There are four settings you can choose for the documents:
- Password protect
- Disable downloading and printing (The recipient will only be able to view the file. They can't edit or download).
- Control the number of views
- Link expiration by setting an expiration date on the document in the pull down menu to 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or a custom date.
Note: The default Link is set for 1 week unless manually adjusted.
Permission Settings when Printable PDF is Selected
The PDF setting allows you to combine all the documents into one PDF or you can send them out as individual PDFs.
- Combined PDF: One PDF that includes all documents for each recipient.
- Separate PDFs: Multiple PDFs with separate documents for each recipient.
- Once you hit send, you'll be directed to the JOBS page.
- On this page, you'll be able to see jobs in progress on the left column and past jobs in the right column.
- In the PAST column, there will be a list of jobs previously sent where you can identify which jobs completed properly and which ones had errors.
- If there are errors, click on the triangle icon on the right side of that job to expand for more details. You can copy the Job ID number and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Once a process is completed on the JOBS page you will receive an email confirming distribution. It lists the number of files, recipients, and any errors that occurred. Clicking Go to P | DISTRIBUTION will redirect you back to the JOBS page.
When preparing to distribute, you can navigate back and forth between Email/Message, Contacts, and Distribution Options by clicking on their respective icons (see below for icons)
For Support, Questions, and Feedback please reach out to email@example.com