- What is a Snowball Edge?
- Use cases
- How to order one
What is a Snowball Edge?
AWS Snowball Edge is a 100TB data transfer device with on-board storage and compute capabilities, accessible through the familiar interfaces you use with existing workflows.
- NFS and S3-compatible endpoint
- Fast data transfer
- Rugged and Portable
- Tamper Resistant
- End-to-End tracking
- Secure Erasure
- Vendors that have limited bandwidth or resources to support uploading a single project directly into Content Hub.
- Vendors that have multiple projects to upload to CH but are limited due to the amount of bandwidth consumed by their day to day workflows.
- OCF uploads sans on-set dailies solutions (future release).
- The device is ordered through Content Hub and is tied directly to the Netflix title's MID and assigned to specific vendor uploaders.
- A Netflix CLI (command line interface) is downloaded and utilized in both checksum generation and copy of material to the Snowball.
- Once the copy of the data is initiated, the data structure is replicated in Content Hub Workspaces.
- When the copy of data has completed to the Snowball, the device is shipped back to AWS where the data is automatically uploaded into Content Hub's Workspace.
- Upon completion of the Content Hub Workspace auto-upload, the vendor's uploader will then submit these assets to the appropriate Content Hub request buckets.
- Backlot account
- Vendor specific API key
- Hardware - 12-16 core Mac w/ 32G RAM
- Network - 10Gb Ethernet RJ45/SFP+ or 40Gb Ethernet/QSFP+
- Adapters, cables and optics are not included
- Vendors need to be onboarded by PPI prior to a Snowball Edge being ordered for their project.
AWS is increasing the availability of the Snowball Edge in a variety of regions globally. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about which regions are "Snowball Ready".
How to order
Once a vendor has been onboarded by PPI, the Snowball can be ordered by a DPAD Specialist/Coordinator for your project through Content Hub’s Physical Shipment and Delivery feature.
- AWS order to delivery of the device to the vendor is 5 business days.
- Shipment back from vendor to AWS and upload into CH is 10 business days.