What is the Pegasus Desktop Client?
The Pegasus Desktop Client is a new tool that enables you to set up automatic downloads of assets from Content Hub to your local storage.
Today, the tool is being used to receive VFX shot submissions from vendors, with more use cases coming soon.
You can download the client here
- macOS Sierra (version 10.12) or greater
Download the installer here.
Right click the DMG and select "Open". You may be prompted to “trust” the application during this step.
Once the DMG has been opened, drag the Pegasus app into Applications.
When the app is launched, you will be prompted to log in with your credentials.
You can verify that a download subscription has been configured by checking the Information tab.
You may not see a Mailbox subscription on first client start up. See the section below on configuring Mailbox subscriptions for more information on managing your auto-downloads.
When downloads start, you should see a progress bar in the Ongoing transfers section. For more information on configuring download location and troubleshooting, see the section below.
Mailbox subscriptions allow you to opt-in to downloads across the multiple shows and types of asset deliveries you are working on. Each subscription is off by default and needs to be enabled after the initial Pegasus Desktop client installation. Your selections are persistent -- even after you reboot the computer that the client is running on.
Mailbox subscriptions are tied to each Pegasus Desktop Client instance, which means that you can configure different subscriptions to run on different machine. For example, you can use this feature to subscribe to VFX Shot deliveries for two different shows onto two separate machines.
Note that if the mailbox subscription is enabled on two clients, they will both receive the auto-download.
Finally, if a subscription is greyed out, this indicates that the subscription is inactive and you will no longer receive updates. Subscriptions will be greyed out after a show wraps.
Where are the files downloaded?
By default files are downloaded to ~/PegasusDownloads/
You can edit the netflix_pegasus_client_config.json config file to change root destination path for the downloads. The netflix_pegasus_client_config.json file will be auto generated after the first app start.
cat ~/Library/Application\ Support/pegasus-electron-client/netflix_pegasus_client_config.json
Please note the following:
- The app needs to be restarted in order for the download location change to take effect.
- The download location configured in netflix_pegasus_client_config.json must exist and be writable.
- If the configured directory is missing or not writable on app startup, the client will fallback to ~/PegasusDownloads/.
- You can see the effective download location under the “Information” tab.
When the application starts it will check for availability of a new version. The new version will be auto-downloaded and will take effect after restart. You’ll be notified once the new version has been downloaded and is ready for restart.
0.0.12 - 2019-12-11
- Bugfix: Auto-downloads are no longer grouped together. Each auto-download transfer creates a separate transfer progress bar
- Feature: Self-service Mailbox subscriptions (see: “Mailbox Subscriptions” section of this doc)
- Feature: Unique download folders for each show/movie/title. (see: “Where are the files downloaded?” section of this doc)
- Feature: Full folder path is displayed in the transfer progress bar as well as the submission info provided by the sender
0.0.11 - 2019-09-24
- Display the folder name in the transfer progress bar with a folder open button
- Enhanced internal transfer logging
Application logs are stored in the following directory:
Launch the app in debug mode
Close the application and start it via command line in debug mode …
|$ DEBUG=pegasus:* /Applications/Pegasus.app/Contents/MacOS/Pegasus|
Get Client ID of the app
|cat ~/Library/Application\ Support/pegasus-electron-client/netflix_pegasus_client_id|
Verify connectivity to Pegasus Stargate
|$ curl pegasus-stargate.prod.netflix.net:8980|
|curl: (52) Empty reply from server|
User identity certificates location:
Troubleshooting client offline alerts
Please make sure the machine on which the Pegasus Desktop Client was installed is online and is connected to the internet
Ensure that the Pegasus Desktop Client application is started and running
Verify that the antenna symbol displayed on the top right section of the app is green
If the Pegasus Desktop client does not start up or the antenna symbol does not turn green shortly after the client is started, please ensure that your machine and network infrastructure allows access to Netflix services as listed in our IP whitelisting documentation.
You can verify connectivity to our TCP based services listed in the IP whitelisting documentation by using the following `curl` command:
|curl -v pegasus-stargate.prod.netflix.net:8980
* Rebuilt URL to: pegasus-stargate.prod.netflix.net:8980/
* Trying 126.96.36.199...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to pegasus-stargate.prod.netflix.net (188.8.131.52) port 8980 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: pegasus-stargate.prod.netflix.net:8980
> User-Agent: curl/7.54.0
> Accept: */*
* Empty reply from server
* Connection #0 to host pegasus-stargate.prod.netflix.net left intact
curl: (52) Empty reply from server
NOTE: Errors similar to the following (`Connection failed` error) indicates that there is an issue with network access and a firewall rule may need to be added to allow access to Content Hub & Pegasus services:
|* Connection failed
* connect to 184.108.40.206 port 8980 failed: Connection refused
Q: Is the Pegasus Client available on any other operating system?
A: Currently, Pegasus Client is only available for Mac.
Q: Why am I seeing one transfer progress bar when I receive multiple deliveries?
A: If the desktop client picks up multiple deliveries on a single “check-in” these deliveries will be grouped together into a single download session.
Q: Why don't I see any subscriptions after I finished installation?
A: You may not see a subscription id on first client start up. If after application restart you are still missing you subscription, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help troubleshoot with you.